Plankton Portal Talk

Buggy day-an FYI

• kirstenr by kirstenr

Hi, I'm just reporting that I'm experiencing a lot of bugs today (6/24/2015 7:20 a.m. Pacific Standard Time in the USA). They include not being able to go from Talk back to Classifying without the "We've run out of data" message popping up; not being able to choose a location when I go back to the PP home page; the wrong location displaying on the Classify page for the data set being classified. All of these bugs have been experienced and reported before; however, they are happening frequently this morning so that my progress with classifying is greatly slowed.

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator

Please, attention!

How many of you are experiencing the "It appears we've run out of data" message while being signed out automatically after returning to the classification from the Talk? This issue has appeared months ago and I would like to know how many volunteers experience it and if there is anyone who doesn't.

Thanks!

Posted

• elizabeth_s by elizabeth_s moderator

oh well yes come upon that message a few times here in the last few days. Hmmm I go off and do something else then I then come back and I can classify again. Do you think it is a bug?

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to elizabeth's comment.

Yes, definitely. I just need to figure out how many volunteers are affected by that to alarm the developers that it is pretty serious problem. There are 403,881 images to classify, only 15% has been done. You can check out your ribbon and will figure out that there still must be lots of data for you!

We're loosing volunteers and classifications, the numbers are very low the last few weeks 😦 It makes me very sad.

Posted

• JoyKidd by JoyKidd moderator

I have seen the "out of data" message twice in the last week. Closing the tab and completely reloading the page helped.

Posted

• mkmcguir by mkmcguir

I've seen out of data, too, but then I just re-sign in and it is fine.

Posted

• kirstenr by kirstenr

I haven't been around much the last two days, but I'll keep track today and let you know if it happens. I just had that other thing happen where I was working on classifying an image, and another image appeared in its place! I know users have experienced that bug in the past too.

If it's any consolation, I don't think the bugs would drive volunteers away. It happens frequently on Galaxy Zoo, too. I just take it to mean they have to load more images, not that they're literally "out of data."

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to Kirsten A. Rohrbach's comment.

Thanks everyone.

Kirsten, I'm not interested in the last two days only, but in the last few weeks. This issue is even much older and the behaviour is unpredictable. I just need to know whether there is anyone who hasn't experienced it at all during, let's say, August. I'd like to know how much often it happens and whether reloading always help.. I haven't classified for at least two weeks, but before, it was happening every moment and it was really irritating.

There are different reasons why this message appears and yes, some of them are that the project has really run out of data, or that someone has classified all of the data but no one else. Which is definitely not this case. At this moment, there is a huge amount of data for everyone.

The important part is that the message appear at the moment, when the page sign you out automatically. But(!), it should load data even for unsigned users so the message has got no reason to appear.

Please, when it happens to you again, check whether you're signed in or signed out. Thanks.

Posted

PLEASE for you attention again!

Sarah (one of the awesome developers) has possibly fixed the bug! She asks for a feedback. So if anyone experiences the "It appears we've run out of data" message again, do let me know immediately.

Many thanks for your cooperation! 😃 Hope it's finally working as it should!

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Hopefully this is fixed now!! 😃

Posted

• kirstenr by kirstenr

So far today, I haven't gotten the "run out of data" message. I'll keep you posted.

Posted

• mkmcguir by mkmcguir

I got the glitch, but it also didn't automatically sign me in when I went from here to classifying
    😦

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to mkmcguir's comment.

Please, can you specify, what exactly happened? And did it happen after Sarah "fixed" it or before? This is important.

Thanks!

Posted

• mkmcguir by mkmcguir

It was yesterday, and when I clicked from the talk page, back to classify (the blue button at the top, it never loaded my name (logged me back in), and it gave the 'out of data' message.

Posted

It just happened to me too, just in a different situation: I was classifying and wanted to check again the previous image so I opened my Profile page in a new tab and while the page was loading, I was classifying the new image. Suddenly, it jumped to the new tab where the message "It appears we've run out of data" was displayed, I was signed out and so none of my previously classified pictures was loaded.

Which reminds me that the same problems happened also at other projects (chimp&see, science gossip) a few times, when I wanted to load my Profile page.

It looks like the problem appears when the loading takes more time - not sure whether it is just about a slower internet connection or about slow computer/busy with loading more things at once?.

Posted

• motmot2x by motmot2x

This happens to me all the time. All. The. Time. Sometimes I'm able to use the screen for just a couple minutes. When I log off and back on, I get the same message. When I switch from Firefox to Chrome and log on, same thing happens. Extremely frustrating.

I have very fast internet and no other applications on, and it still happens. I've run virus checks just to see if there's something happening at my end, but nothing has altered the situation.

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to motmot2x's comment.

I'm very very sorry to hear that, @motmot2x 😦 I'd love to help you.

I was able to reproduce the issue a few more times, but only when I opened more tabs at once... Let's hope that Sarah (or some other developer) will be able to solve this out.

Do other projects work for you without any troubles? Please, try some and let me know.

Posted

I get the It appears we've run out of data message with Uncaught exception: Out of memory error report in my browser console when I try to load the Field Guide. Reloading doesn't help (I tried it 4th times in a row).

Posted

I have been seeing the "out of data" message yesterday and today on my laptop.

Updated my iPad to iOS 9 today. Now marking is broken. The pop up menu has the marker flag as one of the category choices. The jellyfish category uses a symbol of a circle with 3 triangles in it. When I try to id something, instead of dropping a marker flag, the program drops a tiny fish larva: cute but not helpful. 😦

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to JoyKidd's comment.

I'm very sorry to hear that. Thanks for the details (a screenshot would be useful too), I've just reported it on GitHub. Let's hope it can be fixed soon. If possible, try to use another browser in the meanwhile.

(I know the out of data message is annoying, it happened to me yesterday/today too, in both, PP and SG.)

Posted

How do I get a screenshots to you?

Posted

You can email it to me (I've just send you a PM), or upload it anywhere on the internet, and then send the link to me.

Posted

Hey @JoyKidd

I've just heard from Sarah, the PP developer who keeps fixing the bugs we have. Here is what she said:

This appears to be uniquely an iOS9 issue in both the mobile versions
    of Safari and Chrome. Not sure what's going on yet, but when I have a
    moment, I'll see what I can do.

If you can, please, try to use another device in the meantime. Thanks for your patience!!

Posted

Oh, thanks for the update! I was pretty sure iOS9 was the culprit. Luckily, I have a handy macbook. So, no plankton identification while in bed, but I'm otherwise still good to go.

Posted

😦 So sorry for no bedplankton. I think I wouldn't survive that.

Posted

BTW, the bug has been fixed by @srallen (Sarah) and I've received a confirmation from @JoyKidd that it really works again! 😃 Hurray!

Now, lets reach 1.000.000 classifications all together! (At this moment we're on 971,108) 😄

Posted

• mkmcguir by mkmcguir

I got the out of data bug 😦

Posted

😦 I'm sorry, it happen to me too. Not sure how to help you.. It's reported.

Posted

• mkmcguir by mkmcguir

It could be why #s are lower...

Posted

I'm sorry I don't understand to your last post here.. Could you explain, please? Thank you 😃

Posted

• mkmcguir by mkmcguir

If people are getting the out of data bug when they go to Plankton Portal, they may not know to wait/refresh/etc... which means they arent classifying pics.

Posted