Plankton Portal Talk

Tutorial forever

• johndxmurphy by johndxmurphy

I can not seem to get out of tutorial mode. I taken the tutorial several times but it never lets me go to real classification. Is it because I have not mastered the classification process?

Posted

• Loraccarol by Loraccarol

I also can't get out of the tutorial. Very irritating.

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator

I'm sorry to hear that guys.
    Could you be more specific please?
    To be able to fix the problem we need to know what OS and browser you use.
    Thanks for letting us know, I'll write to the admins and they will check it out.

Zuzana

Posted

more users having problem with the tutorial wrote here: http://talk.planktonportal.org/#/subjects/APK0000001

Posted

• dsr5 by dsr5

I have a problem too, after drawing the lines over the length & width, I get told to match it up with the grid, which I do, then nothing else happens. Have tried a few times now.

Posted

• naumovich by naumovich

I am also having problems getting out of tutorial.

Posted

@naumovich @dsr5 @loraccarol @johndxmurphy and others... thanks for letting us know. The developers have been working on fixing this bug.

Please be patient for the update.

ysh_

Posted

Please, does anyone have problems get out of the tutorial mode? If so, let me know. Thanks!

Posted

• SPToad by SPToad in response to yshish's comment.

I'm having trouble. I just joined, finished the tutorial, it told me I seemed to be ready, and then it started again at the beginning. I'm using Firefox 33.1 on Windows 7.

Posted

• SPToad by SPToad in response to SPToad's comment.

Never mind - I left the site and logged back in. Problem solved.

Posted

OK. Thank you for the report anyway!

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Has anyone else reported this problem? @yshish, I assume you don't still have it?

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to DZM's comment.

Unsure what your question is. What exactly Should I have?:] Thanks for clarifying, my brain is too frozen to work properly.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Sorry, that was unclear! 😃 Do you, or anyone, still have the problem with not being able to get out of the tutorial mode?

Posted

Thanks for the clarification. I have a bit different problem with the Tutorial (it has been already reported looong time ago) but not sure whether the developers were able to reproduce it or not. I've just recorded a short video of my screen while going through the Tutorial for you where you can see what the problem consist in in my case! Check your email..

Z.

Posted

• Shiphrah by Shiphrah

I tried, but the handles in the tutorial are too tricky & I can't use them properly. Also subsequent tutorial windows open up obscuring the image I'm working on, and for the creature at top center of tutorial screen the Plankton Portal banner kept opening whenever I tried to work there, hiding everything. Once the tutorial told me I'd gotten the hang of it (I hadn't) but then restarted tutorial. I'm giving up in frustration. I'll check back from time to time to see if it's improved.
    PS. I use OS 8 on an iPad.

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to Shiphrah's comment.

Dear @Shiphrah

Thank you very much for your report. I'll inform the developers about that.

I can imagine how frustrating it must be! But I'm afraid that this project just isn't very friendly with iPads 😦 It has always been a bit tricky due to the nature of the marking task. The developers will try to look at it and hopefully they will come up with something. It would be great if you could use some other device instead for the meantime..

Could you please make a screenshot to show us what does it look like?

Thank you,

Zuzi

Posted

• hannahwebber by hannahwebber

Hello,
    New to this, but I am not getting out of tutorial mode? Could there be a bar at the bottom telling you your progress as you move through the tutorial so that you know when you're about done? As far as I know I am still in tutorial mode (do I suck at this so much that I will forever be in tutorial mode?)

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to hannahwebber's comment.

Hi @Hannahwebber

Thanks for informing us about your problem and for your suggestion as well. Could you please give us more details, like the version of your browser and OS? It would be very helpful for the developers who are unable to reproduce the bug without such information.

You can try to switch the browser for another one, it may help.

Btw, we'have been working on a new tutorial these days! So any suggestion are very welcome.

Sorry for the troubles, hope we can fix this! (You're not the only one reporting this).

Thanks,

Zuzi

Posted

• mkmcguir by mkmcguir

I keep getting the same pic ... but then when I am done, it flashes a different pic, which I think is the one I need to mark, not the one I got again.

Posted

• Quia by Quia

When my internet is being particularly terrible, it can sometimes take 5+ seconds for the next image to load up, and in the mean time, the previous image is shown.

It goes like this: Click 'next', the current image slides up and away... to show the exact same image. Some seconds later, the new image suddenly appears. Maybe this is also happening to you? Normally the images load fast enough that the next image loads before the animation sliding the old one away finishes, but sometimes...

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Hey, guys a little preview... the tutorial, as it exists now, is going away forever very soon.

I know because I just finished writing the new one. 😃

The interface is getting better and simpler and the site is getting a big ol' UX makeover and we think you are going to be very happy with it!

Posted

Hey, Darren,

About the existence of the new Tutorial, it's really a great news! But.. they're actually not talking about the Tutorial but the process of loading new images after finishing the classification. And it is worth reading!

It is known issue which I reported in April 2014 to Chris Snyder as an 'Echo' bug (I called that so) but he wasn't able to reproduce that so it has never been fixed. It would be very useful to look at it again since it is sometimes very confusing and causes mistakes in the classification and it's not only 'my problem' anymore since two users have reported that today..

When the old image (the one you've just classified) is scrolling up away and a new one should display there, you see the old one again, for the second time, scrolling just behind the classified one. It usually disappear at the moment when the scrolling is finished and than the new one flashes and stays on the screen.

The problem is that when the old image stays displayed for too long, we can click on the 'Finish' button thinking that it's already the new image what we're looking at which is empty too. Or we can mark creatures which are not really present on the new one, since we see them on the screen (and yes, this happened many times to me already however I know about the bug and watching it carefully).

I'm not sure you will understand.. so I'm attaching two screenshots at the bottom of my post. I chose such a remarkable image to show you what I mean by the 'Echo' - it's not exactly 'repeating' - it's just an illusion which disappears shortly after loading - unless your internet connection slows down. Then it can take more time and becomes a problem. Sometimes I wait like 10 seconds for displaying the new one but it can take even longer (about 1 minute). It's a bit irritating.

I think this shouldn't be ignored.

Thanks,

Zuzi

Here is my report of this bug I sent to Chris a year ago:

It's an "echo"(i don't know how to call it better) of the finished image i'm used to see too. because almost always when i finish the classification, click "finish" and the classified image starts to scrolling up, the same image as the finished one appears right below. (i made a screenshot and attached it to the mail) it appears just for a second, till the classified one is completely scrolled up, then the bottom "echo" one disappears and new -different- image displays instead of it. sometimes it looks like the "echo" one was a continuation of the classified image - as if they were united. i can't explain it better. hope the screenshot will help:)

screenshots:

• ysh_classified1.jpg = The original image i classified (screenshot made before the classification)
    • ysh_classified1&echo.jpg = There's a small portion of the scrolling up image (from the previous screenshot) at the top and its "echo" (which is scrolling up together with the original one) below it. The "echo" one disappeared right after the moment i made this screenshot.

P. S. Please, try the classification yourself and let me know whether this happens to you too or doesn't. It' happens to me on all computers I've ever tried... Thanks!

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin in response to yshish's comment.

Hey yshish, I'm afraid that I don't get any such echo when classifying, either.

it possible that since we're completely overhauling the interface, though, that bug will be gone with once we unveil the revamp. 😃

If it's still there after that, we will do everything that we can to hunt it down!

Posted

OK! 😃 Thanks.

I have got some more suggestions. Are you still able to incorporate them into it in case they were good?

Posted

• Quia by Quia in response to yshish's comment.

Yes, that's exactly what I see! I think in order to reproduce this one you'd have to artificially slow down your internet connection to somewhere under 500KB/s. When I'm not having issues with my ISP, everything works just fine, no echoing images. Unfortunately my ISP frequently has problems and I don't get the download speeds I'm supposed to get, and then I see the 'echo.'

Posted

• mkmcguir by mkmcguir

Sorry guys... I haven't kept up.. was on holiday with no computer for a few days... I am still having this issue.

Posted

• Quia by Quia

An update on the 'echoing' classifications. I have faster internet now, so I can confirm that the problem does go away entirely on a better connection, but not everyone has nice fast internet connections!

I can simulate having a slow connection by throttling the bandwidth of my browser. It looks like anything under ~500kB/s, the image takes longer to load than the scroll up animation. During the animation, the partially loaded new image is displayed scrolling down. When the animation finishes, if the new image is not done loading, the previous image is displayed. Once the new image loads, it displays. At 500kB/s the time the previous image is shown varies from brief flash to about a second depending on the image.

@DZM To sum up! Changing any one of these would get rid of the problem.

• If the current image is not done loading after the 'slide' animation, the previous one is shown instead.
    • Show the partially loaded image.
    • There is no indication that an image is loading.
    • Add a loading indicator.
    • The interface does not wait for the current image to load before allowing the user to input classifications on that subject.
    • Wait for the browser to report it's done loading before allowing classifications. (Doesn't fix the visual issue but would stop bad classifications from going through)

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to Quia's comment.

Oh, great! Thank you so much for doing this, @Quia 😃 It can be really annoying since I sometimes don't know whether to wait for the image to load or the one I see is the new one already loaded.

I really appreciate this!

Zuzi

Posted

• Sukhumvit by Sukhumvit

I'm stuck in tutorial mode too. Leaving the site and logging back in did not solve the problem

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to Sukhumvit's comment.

Hi @Sukhumvit

I'm sorry to hear that! Can you be more specific please? The current Tutorial is completely new and it shouldn't make such problems any more. I'd love to help you..

Please, tell me what browser and OS you use (if you don't know how to figure that out, click HERE and copy what appears there).

Thanks for reporting,

Zuzi

Posted

• Sukhumvit by Sukhumvit

http://whatsmybrowser.org/b/DHVAD4E is my browser. I really don't know how to be anymore specific about stuck in tutorial. What do you think I meant?

Posted

Thanks for the link!

Well, I have no idea what you meant by 'being stuck in the Tutorial'. So, here are my questions to help you help me:)

1. Did you go through all the steps in the Tutorial but after the last slide, no 'Start' button has appeared?
    2. The Start button did appear but when you clicked on it, the Tutorial didn't disappear?
    3. Did the Tutorial let you go through all the slides, or clicking on the Next button (at each slide) didn't work?
    4. Can you click on the little cross in the top right corner of the Tutorial to cancel it? Does it work?

.... etc
    .... etc..

Any specification of the problem would be really helpful. I can imagine many other problems which could be hidden under your 'being stuck in the Tutorial'. And I believe your problem may mean something completely different than I've guessed.

Z.

Posted

• Sukhumvit by Sukhumvit

no start button has appeared . No last slide after several hours. No little cross to click.

Posted

Really odd. Please, are you able to make a screen shot of the tutorial, upload it somewhere on the internet and send a link to it?

The last screen should look like here:

x

Posted

• Sukhumvit by Sukhumvit

The only thing I can tell you is that after each screen I click finished, then next and another screen appears with the word tutorial next to the finished button. This happens over and over again on whatever machine I use . This is due tomorrow

Posted

• Sukhumvit by Sukhumvit

I found the screen , I clicked start and It's still in tutorial mode.

Posted

OK, thank you very much. I'm not entirely sure what is happening but I've just informed the developers. Hope we'll be able to solve this soon!

Please, keep checking this board for more questions or advices..

Posted

after each screen I click finished, then next and another screen appears with the word tutorial next to the finished button.

One more question:

Are you able to mark anything in the Tutorial? Or just read the text below the animation in the slides and clicking the Next button?

If you can click on plankton images and chose categories from a pop-up menu, then you're not in the Tutorial but in the Classification. It should look like this (you should see the Tutorial button next to the Finish button in the bottom right corner)

x

Posted

• srallen by srallen in response to Sukhumvit's comment.

Hello Sukhumvit,

I am the developer currently maintaining Plankton Portal.

"Tutorial" next to the "Finished" button is a button link to launch the slideshow tutorial. That is all it does and it is not an indication of a tutorial image in the interface. I believe you are classifying the images correctly if you are able to hit "Finished" and "Next".

If you are still having trouble though, a screen shot of what you are seeing would be helpful.

Thanks!

Posted