Plankton Portal Talk

How To Tell If You Are Doing Too Much Plankton Classifying

• JoyKidd by JoyKidd moderator

When you find a tear in your dark bedspread, revealing the white blanket underneath, and your first thought isn't "bad dog," but is instead "Copepod!"

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to JoyKidd's comment.

Haha! 😃 So glad I'm not the only crazy soul here! .)

Posted

• jo.irisson by jo.irisson translator, scientist

😉

Posted

• mkmcguir by mkmcguir

😃 my poor husband gets "look at the cool plankton I found today"

Posted

• suzeroo by suzeroo

Oh yes... I begin to see plankton everywhere, and when asked "how are you?" I want to talk about the amazing image(s) I just classified, and I end up providing waaay too much information about what all these plankton critters do.. 😄

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

I like these stories. 😃 We really, really appreciate your efforts!!

Posted

• JoyKidd by JoyKidd moderator

We had dinner at a restaurant last night that covered the tables with paper and gave you crayons while you waited for your food. The waitress was surprised to see the paper covered with doliolids (with and without tails) and cydippids. I did not attempt a pteropod, as it is beyond my artistic limits.

Posted

• zsil by zsil

Yeah I am doing the same

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator

😃 I sometimes dream with plankton at night.. imagine black and white dreams with exploding Larvacean houses, or air fighter Copepods.. or I can just place those marks everywhere around! I have even nice dreams with plankton. It is a shame I don't remember many details. They are too crazy:]

What is the current sign, telling me I'm doing too much (not just PP, but of anything in Zooniverse) is a tendonitis on my right hand.

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH

I thought I'd post a message to show what happens when you eat plankton after dreaming about it...

Somtimes you suddenly realise how one zooniverse project leads to others, and how important it is to support our environment with our citizen science work. The delicate creatures of PlanktonPortal link through the oceans' food chains to PenguinWatch and Whales as Individuals.

I found this wonderful drone (there are good uses for them!) video of rare Bryde's whales feeding on plankton off New Zealand @Bryde's whales video link
    And it's very pretty (see below). If you want to swing by PlanktonPortal click here to feed a whale today 😃

Whale and krill food:

I popped this on Chat for the main Zooniverse pages

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to AvastMH's comment.

What a great idea, @AvastMH Thanks a lot 😃 Let's hope it will bring some more volunteers to this awesome project.

Posted