Plankton Portal Talk

Subject: APK0008goh

Subject APK0008goh Full subject data (JSON)

Comments

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator

Really crisp #Rocket-ship_sipho

Posted

• kirstenr by kirstenr

Wow, amazing!

Posted

• suzeroo by suzeroo

I agree, but it looks different than the usual. Another one just like it: Image APK00079y6

Posted

• jo.irisson by jo.irisson translator, scientist

I don't think it is the same as the other frame (see my comment there). But it does not look like a sipho indeed.

Posted

It seems to have combs (the edges of the body appear serrated) but I don't know comb jellies which would look like that.

Posted

• suzeroo by suzeroo

You don't think this might be another phronima inside a salp body?

Posted

I did find a Sipho which looked the same as this guy to me when I sent my comment! I'll try to search it again and share the link.....

Posted

This: http://i.guim.co.uk/static/w-700/h--/q-95/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2012/9/24/1348509709426/Male-and-female-gonozoids-008.jpg

Posted

"Male and female gonozoids of a calycophoran siphonophore. A Lensia conoidea.." What do you think about @jo.irisson ? May it be the same?

Posted

Hm, well, the shape is a bit different .. and the drawing isn't visible on the photo aither... The Phronima idea seems more alike to me:)

Posted

There is a more opaque part inside but the outside does not look like a salp body. There actually seem to be two pieces.

Posted

The next frame shows this is the whole organism. So it might be a piece detached from a sipho after all.

Posted

• suzeroo by suzeroo

After all the discussion on this, please clarify how we should mark it, or not mark it and comment instead?

Posted

We shouldn't mark pieces detached from Siphos unless they're swimming bells. But wait for a scientist. Hope @jo.irisson will sign in soon

Posted