Plankton Portal Talk

Subject: APK0007bz3

Subject APK0007bz3 Full subject data (JSON)

Comments

• suzeroo by suzeroo

Hmmm sipho corncob?

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator

I'd call it a #chain or a #colony of #Salp

Posted

• WEBs_in_space by WEBs_in_space

Is the corncob the salp of the Mediterranean currents? The guide says salp are in Cal. waters.

Posted

Not sure what you meant by that. Corncobs belong among Siphonophores = Cnidaria/Hydrozoa but Salps among Salpida = Chordata/Tunicata. They both

Posted

live in the CAL and MED, but Salps are too rare in the MED data set so the scientists decided to omit the category there to decrease their number

Posted

(the number of the categories - to make the classification easier)

Posted

• WEBs_in_space by WEBs_in_space

Thx, I just thought there were no salp on Med. waters, by reading the guide. I would have tagged this corncob too.

Posted

I didn't mark them at all.. let's hope the scientists will check this one to figure out the true! :]

Posted

• suzeroo by suzeroo

Thanks - marked it corncob even tho I didn't see any pneumatophores. But it's the only object in the frame, didn't want it to get lost!

Posted

When you know it is definitely nothing from the available categories, it is better not to tag at all then to tag it wrongly, they said.

Posted

Just saying for the next time someone find anything which isn't included in the list for the data set.

Posted