Plankton Portal Talk

Subject: APK0006lbj

Subject APK0006lbj Full subject data (JSON)

Comments

• suzeroo by suzeroo

It almost looks like a teensy thimble & tail, almost center, left. Am I seeing ghosts?

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator

Oh, well spotted! It actually isn't a thimble but a #Cydippid! Cute 😃

Posted

• Quia by Quia

I don't want to even think about how many little critters that tiny I've missed. Most times they're too small and blurry.

Posted

• Ksloots by Ksloots

indeed! but I look at the cup as half full and full of good intentions!

Posted

@Ksloots Not sure about the meaning of your words. Please, could you explain it to me?😃

Posted

• Ksloots by Ksloots

I worry about all the things I miss too, or mislabel, but as there are more people assessing the photos, I think that even if I miss out

Posted

• Ksloots by Ksloots

on something, together we will be able to 'fill the cup'.

Posted

• Ksloots by Ksloots

I think I'm anxious at not being a scientist, I'm an artist by profession, and it's hard for me to know when I'm ok as a citizenscientist.

Posted

• Ksloots by Ksloots

But maybe I was interpreting # Quia wrongly?

Posted

• Quia by Quia

You got it @Ksloots, and you're right, it's the 'best effort' that counts, and learning as you go along to be as informed as possible! 😃

Posted

• Quia by Quia

@yshish, it was a mixed metaphor, 'see the cup as half full' is a metaphor, seeing 'half full' is optimistic, 'half empty' is pessimistic,

Posted

• Quia by Quia

and we have 'half filled the cup' with our well intentioned classifications. Metaphors are almost as complex as plankton!

Posted

Haha, OK. Thanks for explaining. I thought it could mean something like that 😃 I am really bad at metaphors!

Posted

@Ksloots Don't feel bad that you don't recognize them all. They can be very tricky. I didn't recognize them too when I came here since we

Posted

even haven't got a sea at my country.]

Posted

• Ksloots by Ksloots

@yshish @quia I'm still amazed at how different this sea is from the one here, 'my'sea was no help, more of a hindrance.

Posted

• Ksloots by Ksloots

But I've gotten over that now.
    And as you now know, I'm bad at metaphors too.

Posted

• Ksloots by Ksloots

But I'm always talking to the screen, asking the things I see if they are blobs or animals etc. I think it's hard to be a amateur scientist.

Posted

But I think you do pretty well with the identification!

Posted

• Ksloots by Ksloots

Thanks! Big smile!!

Posted