Plankton Portal Talk

Subject: APK0004obe

Subject APK0004obe Full subject data (JSON)

Comments

• kirstenr by kirstenr

cydippid or larval lobate? Any hints for telling the two apart?

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator

it is a #cydippid, perhaps a #mertensid sp.? the differences, hmm.. lobates appears quite opaque and without tentacles when adult.

Posted

but cydippids can have the tentacles retracted. @bgrassian will be able to tell you better than me:) hope he'll show up soon to answer you.

Posted

• bgrassian by bgrassian scientist

yes this is a #cydippid (Metensid sp. for sure!)... the body is acorn shaped and there are two tentacles visible here

Posted

the lobate species of ctenophores are in general more spherical than ovular/acorn shaped. they also do not have tentacles ...cont ->

Posted

and also, the lobes used for foraging are visible, either making the body appear divided (think pac-man!) or are pressed together making...

Posted

it appear like two outward appendages on the bottom/oral end of the critter. in general on the site, the lobates tend to be bigger

Posted

try searching #lobate on boards and see the guys that were tagged! ( =

Posted

comprehensive answer, thanks!

Posted

• kirstenr by kirstenr

1/2
    I guess my question arose from identifying something as a cydippid that turned out to be a larval lobate (wtih tentacles.)

Posted

• kirstenr by kirstenr

2/2 My question was: How do you tell LARVAL lobates from cydippids?

Posted

a mertensid ctenophore. Larval lobates can be distinguished from true cydippids with much certainty.

Posted

larval lobates have a "clasped" body, with marked ctene rows extending the whole body,and paird tentacles coming off ...

Posted

...the aboral end at ~45 degree angles with evenly spaced narrow/small branching tentacles. The body is most useful in the ID

Posted