Plankton Portal Talk

Subject: APK00014pm

Subject APK00014pm Full subject data (JSON)

Comments

• jessicaluo by jessicaluo scientist, admin

i'm going to call this #mystery jelly, a #chimera (salp/siph/cteno/medusa), or maybe #unknown, or who knows, a #newspecies?

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator

Thanks for your attempt to ID it, @JessicaLuo It was fun:)

Posted

I've read the Twitter discussion..it reminds me rather a sipho than a cydippid.. but the pointy ending is just too oddly shaped.

Posted

• bgrassian by bgrassian scientist

Hey Zuz! ID is a stumper! I think cteno, but ctene rows rinscrutable and inseparable from what could be meridional canals at the oral end.

Posted

The 1 ‘tentacle’ up top does make Euplokamis (dunlapae) a viable guess, bc branching of tentacle-altho not abundant, they r present here.

Posted

uplo tentc have ‘balls’ off at regular intervals (balled colloblasts). However, main tentacle itself usually is fine/thin

Posted

and the side branches appear discrete and ovular. This one tentacle is thick, and the “side balls” (a term?) appear stout.

Posted

The 2 small ‘extensions’ coming off the aboral end are too big to big papilla, so I am left thinking they must be paired tentacles.

Posted

Dryodora (glandiformis) is scarcely abundnt, but present. They r unable to fully retract paired tentacles, and usually appear as this.

Posted

They have a ‘vestible’/pouch toward the oral end, and mouth/stomodeum curves inward slightly like lobate (here looks maybe as such)

Posted

usually 'muddy' up features at oral end

Posted

Without mystery “tentacle” up top; resembling side branches of euplo; I say dryodora. To be honest; I am totally unsure bw the 2 ID

Posted

Haha!! My 2 cents ( : Thanks for the heads up and birthday wishes; all the best Zuz! And I will check out the other mysteries today ( =

Posted

Wow, what a detailed explanation!😃 Thank you so much. I was searching Euplokamis pictures and haven't found any with such a pointy ending

Posted

but later I found some other cydippids with very pointy parts.. but not living around California.It's really exciting to find such odd ones.

Posted

Looking forward to your other replies 😃 Thanks!!

Posted

( =
    Yes,without paired feature (I say not fully retracted tentacles) and inner features; top tentacle would make me say euplokamis would

Posted

but euplokamis is usually caught in nice detail (ctene rows etc) bc not very muscular

Posted

I will check out the other photos later today, for sure! Will be free to later on

Posted

OK, thank youu! 😃

Posted