Plankton Portal Talk

Awesome photos / videos of plankton

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator

Hey!

Here are some really awesome photos of plankton you must see!

http://www.stefansiebert.photography

Zuzi

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Wow, those are gorgeous. Thank you for sharing!! 😃

Posted

• Siiw by Siiw moderator

Wow! Beautiful colours too...

Posted

For those of you who love #Polychaeteworms or bioluminescent ocean creatures, here is a nice video for you!! 😃

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdr1kWmSiiE

Enjoy! 😃

Posted

• mkmcguir by mkmcguir

Pretty!

Posted

• kirstenr by kirstenr

I wonder if some of those mucousy blobs with particles stuck to them that we see (that aren't larvacean houses) are from some of these weird polychaetes?

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to Kirsten A. Rohrbach's comment.

I'm afraid not. They should appear in the midwater zone, those blobs who collect particles in the mucous net were said to appear in the depths about 1000 meters below the surface. ISIIS is going to about 140 meters only. But it would be so cool to see one here!!!! 😄 The piggy one is my favourite species!

Edit: As for the piggy one, "..it has been observed residing just below the oxygen minimum zone between 900 and 1,200 metres (3,000 to 4,000 feet) deep." (wiki)

Posted

And when we're talking about mucous blobs, look at this huge #Larvacean #houses!

The "giant larvacean" of the genus Bathochordaeus is about 50 millimeters (two inches) long. Like most larvaceans, it feeds on tiny food particles in the surrounding seawater. Bathochordaeus lives inside two net-like mucus filters, which are collectively called its "house." The outer filter, which can be up to one meter (three feet) across, traps coarse particles in its mesh. The inner filter has slightly tighter weave, and traps small particles that the animals eats. The larvacean constantly pumps water through both filters, which typically become clogged after about 24 hours of use. At that point, the larvacean abandons its house and swims off to create a new one. /by MBARI

Bathochordaeus belongs among Oikopleuridae (the 1st type from my comparison post), and live in Pacific and Atlantic ocean.

Posted

• mkmcguir by mkmcguir

WOW

Posted

An article with some more videos of #Polychaeteworms

Read and watch here: Bristle worms get their turn

Posted

• zsil by zsil

Just found a cute picture of my favorite thing to classify
    enter link description here

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to zsil's comment.

Cool! 😃 Thanks for sharing that Copepod.

Posted