Plankton Portal Talk

Life form in center right of image

• gordonroesler by gordonroesler

These are fairly common in images but don't seem to fit any of the classifications we've been given

Posted

• scopedriver by scopedriver

I agree. I don't know how to classify it, either. It seems too complex to be a protist. I think I would call it thalasso since there are no visible tentacles. Could one of the scientists please help?

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator

i'm no scientist, but these are protists, not a thalasso for sure.

Posted

Thanks, #yshish. And we just ignore them for purposes of this project, right?

Posted

exactly. anyway, not all the protists. because we do classify #radiolarian #colonies (phylum Radiolaria belongs among #protists.). but their colonies are typically elongated and bordered by a kind of halo, so it's not hard to recognize them.

Posted

It took me a while to start to recognize #radiolarian #colonies that weren't a straight line, I think I first got it after seeing one of your classifications--your galleries are amazing, thanks for making them! May I ask how many pages (of 12 screens each) are in your profile, just for fun?, or, how long you've been doing this? Your experience is valuable to a lot of us, I'm sure!

Posted

Haha, thanks. Yes, i think they can be helpful for new users to get better oriented.

Of course you can ask:) I've already classified over 61,000 of frames (there's 5091 pages in my Recents). I started with the beta version of this project (I think it was the end of July). First time it seemed to be very difficult for me (I must have made many mistakes in my classifications!) but so fascinating! I felt it's a big challenge for me and decided to succeed (= be able to to recognize what I see in the image and learn something about it.) It took me more than a month(or two) to enter the 'discussions' (i didn't know we can comment the images and ask questions:D)!

Wish you nice time spent on the Plankton Portal:)

Posted

...wow... 😃 6 months, 10,000+ frames per month, 333+ per day, every day! I'm guessing your mouse will burn out and need to be replaced! 😃
    I thoroughly enjoy Plankton Portal. I was interested in marine biology in college, got to take 2 courses in marine invertebrates (one a research project in St. Croix!). It's been 40 years since then, and this has reawakened my enjoyment. BTW, @jessicaluo is an amazing "host" to us "civilians" on this site--so considerate and appreciative of our efforts!

Posted

actually, i don't use a mouse, but a trackpoint! and i hope it won't burn out! 😄 it could affect my laptop as well!

Posted