Plankton Portal Talk

Is this a fuzzy Medusa ephyrae?

• sabh27 by sabh27

Got a copepod, but not sure what the one above (roughly in the centre) is? MEDUSA EPHYRAE?
    I didn't mark them, but are the stringy bits Radiolarian colonies, or am I right that they would be bigger?
    Learning ...

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to sabh27's comment.

Hi,

The only identifiable object here is the Copepod. Then, you can guess the tiny workm-like guy above it on the left, which could be a Larvacean (but not necessarily), but it is OK to mark the Copepod only. The blurry stuff around is just a marine snow and some algae

Posted

• sabh27 by sabh27

Thanks! Btw, if I'm uncertain, should I leave the object unmarked rather than identifying it wrongly - or is it more useful if it's marked anyway?

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to sabh27's comment.

In general, it is better to guess when you think it may be something. I'll try to explain..

The scientists get more classifications per each frame. When you say there is an ephyra but others don't mark it, then the result for this frame will be no ephyra. Your classification will be considered as a wrong ID (which isn't a problem at all. It happens all the time that someone is wrong!).

But in case it was an ephyra and you didn't guess anything and left it unmarked (and other users did the same) then the result would be no ephyra too however there was one! If there are more users marking it as ephyra, then they need more users looking at the frame to decide what it really is.

See the difference? See what I mean?

But important part for the end: Remember, that a lot of marine snow (dead organic matter) flow in the ocean but you should mark only objects which can be classified by the listed categories. So when there is an opaque shapeless stuff floating around which doesn't remind you of anything from the categories, better to leave it unmarked (or post a comment).

Posted