Plankton Portal Talk

#Solmaris tentacle position

• scopedriver by scopedriver

Is there something special about the 1 or 2 tentacles that #Solmaris extend forward? Does anyone know if it's the same tentacles each time? What kind of complexity must there be in the nervous system to choose 1 or 2 tentacles to extend opposite the others. And what is their function--are they used for defense?

Posted

• jessicaluo by jessicaluo scientist, admin

Hi @scopedriver,

Thanks for the question! We aren't entirely sure why Solmaris and some other jellyfish extend one or two of their tentacles forward -- this is a behavior that is really consistent and quite puzzling to us. I am planning on asking some other experts in the field about this behavior. So far, it has never been reported. So this is a relatively "new"* phenomenon discovered on this project!

*"new" being new to us, not new to the organisms 😃

Jessica

Posted

• scopedriver by scopedriver

Thanks @jessicaluo! I'm looking forward to hearing more about their behavior. From my understanding of word roots, Solmaris makes me think of "the sun of the sea". Is that about right for the Latin name of this beautiful creature?

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator

i think 'sol' means 'sun' and 'mare' means 'sea' in latin, then probably yes:) but just guessing. i'm curious what Jessica will write about.

Posted