Plankton Portal Talk

larvacean

• shocko61 by shocko61

Hi cguigand , I just found one with the outer housing and wondered what it was I could not see any inner structure ,I have only seen the inner structure before this . question answered very nicely ,thank you .Ian shocko61

Posted

• cguigand by cguigand scientist, admin

You're welcome Ian, please feel free to direct other people to this page if you them struggle with the same subject

Posted

nice larvaceans in their houses

Posted

larvacean

Posted

enter image description here

Posted

larvacean escaping from its house

this guys was spooked and escaped from its house!

Posted

• Lounalune by Lounalune

I have a question about measuring larvacean houses. Often, I can only see the inner structures, so I measure that. Sometimes I can see both the inner structures and the outer membrane. Should I measure the outer membrane, because then I am measuring the whole house, or should I measure the inner structures for the sake of consistency?

Posted

Yes lets measure the inner structure since we see most of the time. Good question

Posted

• Sylverone by Sylverone

Here's a question; If we can see both the house and the larvacean inside should we mark both?

Posted

• Sylverone by Sylverone in response to cguigand's comment.

Here's another good example, this time slightly rotated.
    Larvacean inside its mucous house

Posted

You can measure the all the house unless the #larvacean is by itself or the house is very faint.

Posted

you can measure the house only. if you do not really see the house well then measure the larvacean

Posted

• scopedriver by scopedriver

In another discussion (sorry, I don't remember which one), I thought we were told if the #larvacean was in its #house, to measure the #house, so I started to do that. do you want me to go back to measuring just the larvaceans, and only measure the house if it is empty?

Posted

• scopedriver by scopedriver

Sorry, I didn't se that there was a second page to this thread. I will measure the house even if there's a larvacean, and the larvacean only if there is no clear house. Thanks @cguigand!

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator

Hey guys!

I've found a nice video animation about the importance of Larvacean houses. Check it out!

CreatureCast - Larvacean Houses

Here is the thumbnail:
    !

WATCH THE VIDEO

Cheers,
    Zuzi

Posted