Plankton Portal Talk

Loading the wrong photo?

• ridiculusmus by ridiculusmus

I made a classification for a photo with one copepod in the middle of it. When I pressed "Finished" and "Next," I got the exact same photo. Thinking it hadn't committed the change, I marked the copepod anew and pressed "Finished."

Then, before I could press "Next," this new photo appeared, but only with the "Discuss" and "Next" buttons. Thus, I couldn't identify the plankton in this photo. I don't know if my classification for the other photo went through or not. That's the only time I've seen this behavior.

Posted

Weird: This same photo just came up again; so, I marked it and submitted it. At least now it has the classification I intended.

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator

Thanks for informing us! Going to alarm a Zooniverse developer.

I've been away on a fieldwork trip and haven't classified for a while but it seems to be working OK for me now. I see you experienced the described difficulties 5 days ago, and then again 11 hours ago. As I understand it, you haven't classified in the meantime, is that right? Is the odd behaviour still happening?

Thanks, Zuzi

Posted

No . . . I did classify other images in between the first and second time I saw image #APK0007bes, and since then. #APK0007bes is the only image I had difficulty with; and things seemed to work okay with it the second time.

Posted

• srallen by srallen

It would be helpful to get a bit more information about when this happens? Is this occurring often? Could you let us know what browser you are using and if you know what kind of network connection you are on (for example, cellular service, cable, etc)? It sounds like perhaps the images are loading over a slow network connection and one request is not finishing before another.

Posted

(I'm using Firefox version 59.0.2 64-bit with cable internet service.) I'm sorry I didn't document this for you a little better the first time. However, I did go back through my profile history to try to reconstruct it. No, it is not occurring often; I only noticed it with those two photos I mentioned, #APK0007qzz (copepod) and #APK0007bes (radiolarian).

I classified and clicked "Finished" on #APK0007qzz twice. However, #APK0007qzz shows up in my history only once, whereas #APK0007bes is in there twice, first right after #APK0007qzz,and then again a few days later. I can't tell whether that means that PP actually saved two separate classifications to #APK0007bes.

Posted

• srallen by srallen

Ok. Thank you for the additional information. Unfortunately I'm not sure if I'll be able to replicate it reliably to determine what might have happened. This is the only report of subject queue issues so it's unlikely to be a sync issue on our server for this project. With the aggregation process of combining all the volunteer's classifications, even if you did submit twice for the same subject, it shouldn't have an effect on the analysis outcome.

Posted