Plankton Portal Talk

Larvaecean?? - and magnifying help on iPad?

• cspivak by cspivak

Very unsure about this one. Also, I am working on iPad. A magnifying feature came up a few times on long press but now I can't seem to get it. Every time I long press it just gives another marker with categorization choices. Hints?

In fact generally about the interface: seems way too easy to drop another marker when all I was trying to do was zoom, or get back to the top menu, or my browser tabs. I'm always having to get rid of them. Might be nicer to have an identify mode.....I don't know. Does this happen to other people or is it just me?
    Thanks!

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to carolyn.spivak@gmail.com's comment.

The PP has never worked well on iPads. I have no experience with that so I can't help you much 😦 I can ask the developers whether it should be working without troubles and maybe they will give you an advice.. Let's hope! Fingers crossed:]

As for the Larvacean question, I wouldn't say there is one. The little guy is rather an Arrowworm. Hard to tell for sure since it is very blurry and small!

Z.

Posted

• jo.irisson by jo.irisson translator, scientist

At that size it is more probably a detritus; too small for an arrowworm.

Regarding tablets, and iPad in particular, any feedback is welcome. We (on the science team) have plans to install booths in a few museums with PlanktonPortal and we would like to do it on iPads. If you can collect problems, desired behaviours, etc. and add each of those as a separate "issue" at that address: https://github.com/zooniverse/plankton/issues that would be the best way to keep track of them and hopefully sort them out in the future.

Thanks in advance.

Posted

• cspivak by cspivak

I will try to do so, it may be a while. I am a software tester (or was) so if I find anything really buggy I will also try to collect a log. So far it's just been minor usability issues. FYI I've also tried PP on my Android tablet (Nexus 9), it's completely unusable (will eventually report that at github too).

Cool idea about the museums. Though for me, the most fun is learning to identify, hard to replicate in a short attention span audience.

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to carolyn.spivak@gmail.com's comment.

Great! I've just started a thread describing my experience with touch devices. Please, try to describe yours. To me, the current version seems to be much more useful and I can imagine working on it without serious difficulties.

Thanks.

Posted

• kirstenr by kirstenr in response to jo.irisson's comment.

Hi Jo, You might want to contact the Seattle Aquarium. A few years ago they installed kiosks for an "Exploring Ocean Science Through Space" grant associated with NASA. I haven't visited the aquarium since I returned back from a three-year sailing voyage last August, but I suspect they have changed the content displayed in these kiosks. They might be interested in placing the Plankton Portal on an existing kiosk.

Posted

• jo.irisson by jo.irisson translator, scientist in response to Kirsten A. Rohrbach's comment.

Thanks for the info Kristen. At first, we'll work with museums/aquariums close to us (Monaco for me) because it's easier. But it definitely is the same idea.

Posted

• jo.irisson by jo.irisson translator, scientist in response to Kirsten A. Rohrbach's comment.

Also, the PP tech team told me a while back that if they work towards supporting a touch device, it would be the iPad, because it is so common and it is a relatively homogenous environment (Safari on all, mostly at the latest version). So the most useful testing would be on iPad first.

I understand that iPads are expensive but trying to support all the fragmented Android ecosystem from the get go would probably be too much work.

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to jo.irisson's comment.

Great! There were many frustrated users using iPads in the past.

Posted