Plankton Portal Talk

Beginner Needs Help

• motmot2x by motmot2x

I'm new to this and the tutorial does not show examples of blobby plankton. I could use some help to see if what I identified is even in the ballpark before I continue

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to motmot2x's comment.

Hi,

Welcome to the Plankton Portal 😃 We'll do our best to help you in the beginning..

Have you looked at the Field Guide? It includes image examples for each category! Just open it in a new browser tab/window while classifying and scroll down the page to find the most similar looking category.

Keep asking when in troubles and check the Talk for our answers.

Good luck! Don't be afraid 😃

Zuzi

Posted

• jo.irisson by jo.irisson translator, scientist

After you mark the plankton you can click the discuss button and write what you think it was. The image will appear on this forum and people will be able to say if it seems correct or not. You'll learn quickly this way.

Posted

• motmot2x by motmot2x

Thank you Jo.irisson. I also seem to be stuck in tutorial limbo --- I can mark the plankton, but am asked nothing about measurements. My only choice is "Finish." And the species counted resets at each new photo. Is that normal? My impression was that there were other steps.

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to motmot2x's comment.

Actually, this is a completely new (the second) version of the Plankton Portal with new and more user friendly way of marking plankton! You're not asked to measure their size and direction of swimming any more! Just to mark their position and choose the category they belong to 😃

The Tutorial doesn't allow you to mark anything, it is composed from a few slides with animation and short sentences explaining you how to classify.

So it works perfectly for you 😃

Posted