Plankton Portal Talk

dirty this high in the ocean

• localwormguy by localwormguy

lots of stuff floating around at this depth, it's difficult to tell if the streak in upper right quadrant is #shrimp or a #blob of something. better to leave them unmarked like the #protists or make a #guess?

Posted

• cguigand by cguigand scientist, admin

this certainly some organic matter #marine snow. keep in mind that a majority of particle in the worlds ocean is dead organic material. So many gelatinous organisms, and mucus secreted by others as well as fecal pellets create the bulk of larger particles.

Posted

so is that what the #protists are doing when they are in a #group or a #chain?

Posted

eating dead things that is.

Posted

• cguigand by cguigand scientist, admin

better to leave unmarked if you are not sure

Posted

• bgrassian by bgrassian scientist

It is hard to know...I think what is usually the case is a single protist might create an aggregated colony of protists by asexual reproduction. Or perhaps certain protist species clump together through physical means...There is so much about plankton that we still do not know, and with imaging systems like ISIIS we hope to come closer to answering questions like these

Posted

• greggk by greggk

With so much organic matter, marine snow, and often angular images of an organism that it hard to identify, I take it that the Project scientists would prefer identification of only the most clear examples of target plankton. Is this correct? Moreover, as a suggestion, the pop-up window in classification process comes too close to the image selected; it should be a bit further from the target identification -- in particular, the exclamation point shown actually overlays and obscures the image selected for classification.. suggest removal of this indicator. Thanks.

Posted

• jo.irisson by jo.irisson translator, scientist

Hi @greggk,

We tried various combination of pointer and image positions and putting them closer or further away always has unwanted side effects so the current situation is the best compromise we could find.

Regarding the identification. We just ask that you try your best. Initially you won't be sure and may make mistakes. But by asking around on this forum (through the short 140 character messages you can post on an image in particular) I am confident you'll improve quickly. Most the marine snow is smaller than our target organisms so it should help avoid confusion.

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to greggk's comment.

Ooops, my respond to this post from yesterday must have been lost somehow!

As for the pop-up window in the classification, you can actually mark anywhere in the image to see the list of categories and then move it by dragging the mark to the center of the organism when you find the correct one. So it won't obscure the animal while looking through the image examples 😃

Z.

Posted