Plankton Portal Talk

Hello, Plankton Portal!

• DZM by DZM admin

Hello, Plankton Portal Zooites! I wanted to stop by and introduce myself…

My name is Darren--DZM here on Talk--and I've just joined the Zooniverse team. I'm working on a few projects, first and foremost an overhaul of the Talk system. In particular, I’m interested in working to build a unified Zooniverse Talk within which individual project forums are nested.

I don’t have any sort of scientific or biology background, but I’m hoping to learn from everyone here! I’ll be around these boards as often as possible, looking for any other ways in which I can help out, so I’m always interested in hearing from you--questions, concerns, ideas, anything.

In particular, if you have any additional ideas for how Talk can be improved, I'd love to know!

See you all around!

DZM

Posted

• elizabeth_s by elizabeth_s moderator

😃 welcome! A new talk would be nice as long as it really works. Not like the talk that is being used at the moment.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Believe me, I'm getting a first-hand look at the difficulties of the current Talk system! I want this to be more user-friendly as much as the rest of you, since I'll be spending plenty of time here, too! 😃

Posted

• elizabeth_s by elizabeth_s moderator in response to DZM's comment.

😃 way cool!

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

If anyone would like to know a bit more about me and my role, there's a new Zooniverse blog post up from Chris Lintott introducing me.

Feel free to check it out, and I'm happy to answer any additional questions that you might have! 😃

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator

Hey, everyone! 😃

@TED91 from Disk Detective has created this awesome GOOGLE MAP for the whole Zooniverse community to share where we live.

There's no need to have a Google account or be logged in. You can place a flag either anonymously, or write your user name or real name to the flag, and projects you contribute to.

For now, there's just a single layer for all, but more layers could be added and a different colour assigned to each project, or they could be separated to Space, Nature and Other projects, if we wanted, so you could take a look only to those projects you are interested in.

Have a look, maybe you'll find your neighbour being hooked by the same Zooniverse project!! 😉

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=ztJxn9tikpWs.kcO0O-iLLUQ8

Feel free to add your pin! 😉

For discussing the map, visit the general Zooniverse Talk here: https://www.zooniverse.org/talk/13/11661?comment=29456&page=1

Cheers!

Zuzi

Posted

Hey guys,

Let me introduce you our new MODERATOR!! 😄

: : : @JoyKidd : : :

Happy to have you on the Talk, Joy! 😃

Posted

• zsil by zsil

Aw what do I have to do to earn moderator status?

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to zsil's comment.

Well, that is not an easy question to reply after midnight.. (I need more time for that)

Posted

• JoyKidd by JoyKidd moderator

Thanks, yshish! The pretty pictures lured me in, but the Talk pages kept me here.

Posted

Hi @zsil,

I'll try to reply to your question from my point of view and not specifically for this project. This is nothing official being said by researchers nor people from Zooniverse, but only what I consider important for me when I look for someone. In general, this always depends on individual team, what they find important and what they need for their project!

So for me, these are the main aspects I consider important:

• In the first place, there must be a need of a new moderator (some examples: many new volunteers appear; a long-termed passivity of current moderator(s); helpful special abilities of the one, who's going to become a mod - like being able to reply to questions asked in another language etc.)
    • Such a person should be experienced enough to be able to help other volunteers, to reply their questions / solve their problems. So should know the project well enough, and should be able to tell apart individual objects which are classified (This is not necessary for 100 % since it is sometimes impossible, of course.)
    • Should be daily (or almost daily) available on the Talk and be able to soberly moderate the discussion when a conflict/rude comment/ appears.
    • Should be able to communicate politely all the time.
    • Should be able to encourage newbies to stay in the project when the classification seems to be too difficult for them.
    • Should be communicative and able to make the Talk a good place to come back to 😃

Hope I didn't forget anything 😃

Cheers,

Zuzi

Posted

• zsil by zsil

Yeah I fail at being able to identify and language translation

Posted

Wait, the other language knowledge was just an example of a special ability, which is not a requirement, but just an example of a situation which would create a need for a new moderator! :] Hope it is clearer now. (But the ability to recognize individual categories is a need here, for sure.)

Posted

• elizabeth_s by elizabeth_s moderator in response to JoyKidd's comment.

So nice to have you here. 😃

Posted

• elizabeth_s by elizabeth_s moderator in response to zsil's comment.

oh my! You are not the only one! Oh and for the rest of the list I have failed. 😦

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to elizabeth_s's comment.

Ah, don't worry, Liz. You have helped this project so much!!! We are happy to have you here! You are doing your best and we know it!!

Cheers, Z xx

Posted

Hey everyone,

I'm leaving for a two-week fieldwork in mountains (lots of water, just in solid state, no plankton there .(, no civilisation...) on Sunday early morning, and probably won't be able to get online much, if at all.. (I will do my best to get online as often as possible, if there is any signal, at least to check my email.)

I will miss the project, and all of you! But luckily, we have other wonderful moderators here, so you shouldn't be missing me! .)

Pretty please, don't leave the project 😃 I will come back. Looking forward to see all of the exciting images you'll find in the meantime!

Cheers,
    Zuzi

Posted

Have a wonderful time. 😃

Posted

Thank you, @elizabeth_s 😃 Will send you some picture then!

Posted

• elizabeth_s by elizabeth_s moderator in response to yshish's comment.

pictures! I just love pictures yes please. 😃

Posted

Don't worry I haven't forgotten! Here are some wonderful cloud pictures I made there for you 😃

c2

pw

c1

Merry Christmas! 😃

Zuzi

Posted

• WEBs_in_space by WEBs_in_space

Hey @yshish, Is that a penguin farm in the middle picture?

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to WEBs_in_space's comment.

Oh, well noticed! 😃 Unfortuntaely, not real penguins. They should represent my little companions on my 'fieldwork'. I put them in the picture for the Penguin Watch volunteers since I couldn't show the real ones.. Hope you don't mind!

Cheers, Z.

Posted

😃 😃 Awesome pictures

Posted

pf

Posted

😃 😃 Awesome!

Posted