Plankton Portal Talk

Question

• cbrown004 by cbrown004

If something is cut off on the side of an image should we attempt to identify it even though the measurements/orientations may be off?

Posted

• jessicaluo by jessicaluo scientist, admin

Hi @cbrown004, I would say ... depends. If you're pretty sure you can tell what it is, then go ahead and mark it. The order of importance of the information for us is identification > measurement > orientation. So if you're pretty sure what it is, then mark it even though the measurements or orientation will be off. Also, we will be able to tell after the fact that lines are drawn to the edge of the frames so we can probably discount the measurements for those organisms.

That being said, we really don't want people to spend time marking every partial larvacean, copepod or arrow worm that they see. They are so abundant that not counting all the partial ones will not make any difference to the overall population and distribution estimate. So only mark partial organisms if they're kind of big and kind of rare.

Hopefully that helps!

Jessica

Posted

• Chinabob by Chinabob

I thinkthat we ned an unknown category.

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to Chinabob's comment.

Hi @Chinabob

Thanks for your suggestion. Actually, this one has been discussed many times already so the scientists from another project wrote a nice blog post where they tried to explain why the 'I don't know' option isn't helpful anyhow for the research.

You can check it out here http://blog.snapshotserengeti.org/2012/12/14/we-need-an-i-dont-know-button/

In short,the results are much more accurate without such a button.

Thanks for all your effort, we appreciate even guessing! 😃 Just use the Field Guide, ask questions when in doubts, and read the Talk.

I believe you'll become an expert soon:)

Zuzi

Posted

• addleman by addleman

does anyone know how to find out how many plankton you have classified yourself?

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator

Hey, do you mean how many plankton organisms or plankton images? (I can tell the number of images only.)

Posted

• addleman by addleman in response to yshish's comment.

yea anything really

Posted

• addleman by addleman in response to yshish's comment.

Yea I would like to know how many images

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator

OK, go to the Plankton Portal home page and look at the top menu. You'll see a Profile page there (click on it). It shows 'Recent' and 'Favorites'. The Recent shows you pictures of the last 12 classified images while logged in under your account, and then there are numbers below that means pages of another 12 pictures on each. So you can easily scroll down the Recent page to read the last number and then multiply it with 12. It will tell you the exact count of images you have classified on Plankton Portal! 😃

Too difficult? Well, there's even an easier way to figure out! 😄

Just go to the Zooniverse.org and sign in. It will show you the last 4 projects you have participated in and a link to all the projects you contribute to - it will take you to your Statistics with a ribbon of your contribution. You can read the number there, even for all other Zooniverse projects.

Does it make sense? 😃

Cheers and thanks a lot for your help! We really appreciate it.

Z.

Posted

• bentharp20 by bentharp20

how do you measure it

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to bentharp20's comment.

Hello @bentharp20

There was a measurement tool in the classification mode at the beginning of the project. You were supposed to draw two axes, one for the length and the other for the width. Then the team decided to make the project easier and stay with the identification only.

So now you don't have to worry what direction is the plankter going or how to measure those who are partially out of the frame.

Hope it makes sense. Thanks for asking 😃

Zuzi

Posted