Plankton Portal Talk

the same photos

• localwormguy by localwormguy

i made a comment on one photo that i am having a hard time getting to, i keep seeing the same ones come up- does that mean i have been at it too long or are some of the images almost identical? i'm sure i saw the example for one of the critters come up too, same #marinesnow pattern and everything. anyway, let me know whats up, thanks!

Posted

• localwormguy by localwormguy

anyway let me know please, i'm not sure how many pictures you have but seems odd to be getting the same ones, thanks!

Posted

• jessicaluo by jessicaluo scientist, admin

We pulled the example pictures from the actual data itself, so if you have a keen eye you will pick up on them. We typically pick examples that best show what we're trying to classify- so they will be sharp and clear. Currently we have over 300,000 images in the first batch but I think that is just barely 10% of all our total images. The images are randomized per session, I think.. So by chance you might be getting the exact same image, but its not terribly likely. HOWEVER, you will get a bunch of images that look similar with even the same kind of organism - that is because plankton typically occur in patches and so if you find one, you're likely to find another in the same water mass. Seeing multiple of the same organism is therefore a good thing in our data.

Posted

• cnorvalk by cnorvalk

I sometimes have the exact same image I just classified popping up after clicking Next. In my case I'm pretty sure it has to do with the speed of my internet connection.
    Good to hear there are so many images, I'm becoming addicted! 😛

Posted