Plankton Portal Talk

How many plankton do I mark?

• wavewavewave by wavewavewave

I was reading one of the plankton portal blog posts, and in it they said that the most common classification is "empty". That certainly isn't my experience when classifying, but I mark every plankton where I can vaguely make out the shape. Am I supposed to only mark the plankton in the foreground?

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to wavewavewave's comment.

Hey,

It is a good question. You actually seem to be doing it well. We want you to mark everything you can identify as one of the categories provided in the classification. I think you just maybe misunderstood the statistics results? When it says that the most common classification is "empty" it means, that it is more common than any other category from the list, not that you mostly see an empty image. Moreover, the empty images are sort out sooner than those with something in. Why is that possible?

Let's say that an empty image needs to be seen by 3 volunteers only, and once three people agree it is empty, than the image is excluded from the classification. But when someone marks an organism in the picture, it need for example 14 (not sure what is the actual number) other volunteers to classify it to get a consensus. So the empty pictures get away sooner than those displaying something.

Hope this answers your question.

Cheers, enjoy the plankton! 😃

Zuzi

Posted

• wavewavewave by wavewavewave in response to yshish's comment.

Great, that makes sense, thank you.

Posted