Plankton Portal Talk

Repeated out of data message, and more... aaauurrgghh!!

• suzeroo by suzeroo

Having repeated trouble over the last few days, as follows:

1. I'm getting the out of data message, sometimes when I enter PP, and most often when I go back to classifying after making a comment.
    2. When I go back to classifying, and I get the out of data message - I can "fix" that by signing out, then signing back in.
    3. But now, each time I comment, then return to classifying, I get "out of data."
    4. Today, I signed out, then back in, and I got a Calif stream frame, but the classification choices are for the Med.

This is happening at my work and home laptop computer. Both are PC's, and I use Chrome. Windows 10 on my laptop, and the prior version on my work computer. I tried clearing the cache, without success. I tried using Mozilla Firefox on my laptop, but got the same thing. I've tried various other measures such as signing out of everything, then back in, rebooting my computer, etc. No help.

I'm also suddenly getting the same images to classify. Started a couple of days ago, or so, Now in the past 2 days it is happening more often - most often when I get the out of data message, then I sign out and sign back in.. etc..

I've also tried using "refresh", but it doesn't help.

I tried Penguin Watch - and had no problems at all. Haven't tried other projects.

Suggestions? Thanks..
    /Sue

Posted

• suzeroo by suzeroo

The problem is continuing daily - haven't heard from anyone... Can anything be done?
    As always, thanks for the help!!
    /Sue

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to suzeroo's comment.

Hi, I did reported it on the GitHub. Will ask later.. Need to go to work.

Cheers, Z.

Posted

• suzeroo by suzeroo

Thanks - I'm minimizing my time on PP because of this. I'm getting repeated images and I suspect that's related to whatever is going on. Rock on!
    /Sue

Posted

Hello @suzeroo

I'm really sorry to hear that 😦 It must be very frustrating indeed. Here is the issue on GitHub: https://github.com/zooniverse/plankton/issues/31 Feel free to comment that, or add new issues which are not listed there.

Let's hope someone will be able to help you soon.

Yshish

Posted

• jo.irisson by jo.irisson translator, scientist

I've looked at it more and you are not the only one with this repeated image problem @suzeroo (far from it): https://github.com/zooniverse/plankton/issues/31

I hope this will help resolve things.

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to jo.irisson's comment.

Many many thanks for your input! It is very appreciated.

Posted

• suzeroo by suzeroo

Update on the problems of getting the Out of Data message and duplicate images. Still happening ... and is worse..

For a very brief time after I posted this problme - for a few days - I was able to have a good run of classifying (maybe 20 min), before I would get the Out of Data message. Once that happens, I can sign out, then sign back in, and may be able to classify, but at that point I can count on getting duplicate images.

And once that Out of Data message occurs, I'll get that every time I access PP that day - either right away or after a minute or two - so I'm done classifying on PP for the day - because even if I sign out and back in, I might be able to classify for a minute or so, but it will be duplicate images. It's as if the system reaches into my history of classifications and pulls them out for me to classify again - I'll get recent and sometimes not so recent duplicate images.

The next day, I usually have better luck, maybe will be able to classify for a few minutes before getting Out of Data message.

I can go to Talk, then try back to classifying - and it would work minimally. Usually when I'd go back to classifying, from Talk, I'll get the Out of Data message. It pretty much stops me in my tracks.

For a while I noticed that if I was able to classify, then went to Talk to comment, when I tried to go back to classifying I'd get the Out of Data message.
    So I tried just marking photos as "favorite" and stayed within the classification interface. That did help - but after perhaps 20 minutes, I'd still get the Out of Data message.

I'm able to get into Talk, so then I'd go to my "favorites," review them and make comments - but any attempt to get back to classifying will be met with the Out of Data message - and that pretty much guarantees I'll get duplicate images.

This in not happening on Penguin Watch, Snapshot Serengeti or Wildcam Gorongosa, if that's helpful information.

My original post has the computer info listed, and the other efforts I've made (such as clearing the cache, etc). At this point, I'm nearly shut down on PP, getting the Out of Data message very quickly, if not right away.

I'm assuming it's not my computer, since I'm using three different ones, and experiencing the same problem on all. Let me know if there's anything else I can try!
    /Sue

Posted

• mkmcguir by mkmcguir

I also am having these issues... cant even sign out/ back in.... i miss PP
    😭

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator

😦 I'm so sorry to hear that, my friends. I copied the report by @suzeroo to the GitHub issue thread: https://github.com/zooniverse/plankton/issues/31 - You can read what has been said to the problem by others. Can't help much from here.. sorry.

Posted

• suzeroo by suzeroo

Let's hope they can figure it out - I had another short lived "good run" where I could do about a 15 minute stretch of classifying before getting Out of Data. Now I'm back to only a few minutes. When I'm able to classify I save images by clicking on favorites within the classification page. Then when I get Out of Data, I go to talk, then pull images from "favorites" to comment on. 😦

Posted

• suzeroo by suzeroo

Last few days... so far so good, no Out of Data messages... 😄

Posted

• mistyfriday by mistyfriday

So I have been getting the out of images message all day long today. I classified 1 image, maybe 2 then came over here. When I tried to go back I could not. It even signed me off. I can sort of back door into the talk but cannot get into classification. It tells me out of images, and that I am not logged on. 2 or 3 times over the past several months this would happen for a couple of hours but correct itself later in the day. This has occured all day today. This is the only project on which it occurs.

Posted

• elizabeth_s by elizabeth_s moderator in response to mistyfriday's comment.

Yes the same here. Posted the problem on Talk on zoomiverse they are working on the problem.

Posted

• elizabeth_s by elizabeth_s moderator

I see there is still a problem. Out of pictures?

Posted

• mistyfriday by mistyfriday

It has been working ok now for 2 days. Thank You.

Posted

• mkmcguir by mkmcguir

I get the message still if im not auto logged in

Posted

No one should be out of images on Plankton Portal. It is a bug. Sadly, the developers seem to have difficulties to reproduce/fix that now 😦

I am so sorry to hear it affects you so badly guys. I wish I could help you somehow.......

Please, don't give it up! I'll ask around again. Just keep posting the details about your problems so they knew what exact problems you are talking about.

Thank you very much!

Posted

• mkmcguir by mkmcguir

I got more than 3 pictures today!!!!

Posted

• suzeroo by suzeroo

And... I'm back to getting Out of Data message every time I login, no matter what computer. I've worked around it by signing out, classifying for a bit, then if I want to comment on an image, I click Discuss, sign in, and comment. If I click on Return to Classifying - I get Out of Data message.

Once in a while I get to classify while signed in, BUT, it's accompanied by images that I've classified before - as if the program is drawing from my history. Some are recent (so I recognize that I've just done that image a few days or weeks ago), and some are remote (looks suspiciously familiar - and when I look at in in the Talk page, I see my own comment from 1 yr, 2 yrs ago). Difficult to say if ALL the images are ones that I've done before, but I see enough that I do recognize.

I use PC's, Chrome, Windows 7 at work, Windows 10 at home. Happens on all computers.

I had a good run for a while, now I'm back down to out of commission. 😦
    /Sue

Posted

Sorry to hear that, Sue. I've reported it on GitHub. Can't help you more now 😦

Posted

• suzeroo by suzeroo

Thanks. It is so frustrating.

The only way I can classify is to do so without signing in! If I find something to put in a collection or to comment on, I can click discuss - then I can sign in and comment or save an image. But can't go back to classifying - if I do, I get the Out of Data message. If I sign out, then I can classify... And if I was in the Med data set, it may flip to the Cal set and vice versa (when I sign out - the screen may refresh to the other data set). But not always.

Even when I get the Out of Data message, I can always get into Talk. But it appears I only see images upon which I have commented at some point in time and now there's a new response to it. Today I saw your comment on image APK000816p that I commented on 3 months ago. For a while there, I thought I was the only one classifying because I only saw images in Talk that I commented on!

If I'm classifying - as signed out - and I want to just click on the heart icon, to save the image into Favorites, without leaving the classification screen - I cannot, because it won't let me sign in. But.. I'm able to click on Talk and get into that environment, and there I can sign in.

Well, hope the added info is helpful.
    /Sue

Posted

• parrish by parrish admin in response to suzeroo's comment.

Hi Sue. To keep things fast, we only keep a subset of the available data active in the site at a time. On a couple projects we've had "power users" ( 😃 ) classify so much faster than other users that they can run out of data before the data gets completed and replaced.

I've increased the limits for Plankton to hopefully avoid this issue -- let me know if I'm wrong though.

Insofar as the login issues go, I'm a bit confused as to what the problem might be. It might have something to do with the way cookies are being set, but I'll do some testing in Windows to see if I can track it down.

Posted

• WEBs_in_space by WEBs_in_space

I have been away for awhile and had to log in and it told me I am done also! 😕

Last week I had deleted ALL my cookies, so it might have to do with that!

Posted

• WEBs_in_space by WEBs_in_space

I go back and try.... now it works!! 😃

Stay cool

Posted

Hey, is anyone still experiencing the problems with repeating images OR getting the Out of data notification OR being signed out ...? If so, please, let me know and provide as many details as possible (browser, OS version, in what situations it happens). Even a message that it works perfectly although you were used to have troubles is helpful.

Thanks!

Posted

(Just leaving for a 3-day professional training away from the city. Won't be probably able to get online before Saturday.)

Posted

• gardenmaeve by gardenmaeve

I'm not getting those problems here now, @yshish . Snapshot Wisconsin was told it has been fixed by @camallen .

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH in response to yshish's comment.

Hi Yshish - I am transferring here whilst logged into PW, but when I arrive at PP I'm logged out and I get a brief 'we're out of images' message. 😦
    I signed in and the message vanished as I did that.

I carried on and got some images to classify in the usual way 😃

I hope this is helpful, though it seems to mean that a 'fix' has not fixed the problem 😦

I'm working on Windows and Firefox, though I suspect the problem is nothing to do with my program & browser.

Joan 😃

Posted

I also just came here from Penguin Watch and briefly saw the "out of images" message.

Posted

I did not see "Out of images" just now, again coming from PW.

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to gardenmaeve's comment.

Thanks ladies, I asked @parrish via GitHub whether it has something to do with a reported bug. Let's wait for his answer...

Posted

I just learned of another volunteer visiting from PW getting the Out of Data message. I assured the person it was a glitch, and to come on back again. 😃

Posted

Not a good message but it is more than good to be aware of that happening! Thank you, @gardenmaeve Something should be done about that as soon as possible. We desperately need some more volunteers 😦

Posted

The volunteer mentioned is stalwart- I expect a return is likely. 😃

Posted

• addleman by addleman

does anyone know how to find out how many plankton you have classified yourself?

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to addleman's comment.

Hey @addleman

Do you mean how many individual plankton organisms or how many plankton images? I can answer the second one only. We can ask the researchers though.

Cheers, Z.

Posted

@yshish - I just saw the "It appears we're out of data" message when coming here from PW.

Posted

Thanks. I got it also twice this morning.

Posted

• suzeroo by suzeroo

Hi Zuzi and hello Tech Folks!

Well, I've had a good long run of classifying, now getting the out of data messages again. Nothing has changed about my computer info, noted above. I've tried using firefox instead of chrome, and have cleared the cache. Refreshing the screen doesn't help of course, because the out of data message must be answered before I can do anything else.

In the recent past, while being able to classify, it seemed like I was the only one online - I rarely saw anyone else along with my name as to who is online, and I only saw my comments. This would be if I classified every day. If I'm gone for a few days, then upon returning I'd see comments from others, and sometimes would see more than myself listed as online. But more commonly I could only see myself and only my comments. Refreshing didn't help.

But now, I get the out of data message on any computer I use.

• I click OK on both out of data messages, and there is a blank screen.
    • I then sign out, and an image comes up to classify.
    • I can then sign in, classify that image and go on to the next one.
    • If I go to Talk, then back to classify, I get out of data messages.

I've tried signing out, leaving the website, coming back, signing in.. I get out of data messages.

I'm not having any trouble at all on Penguin Watch, or other projects (I've tried 2-3).

I CAN go to PP, then go directly to TALK, and see comments and I can post a comment. If I try to go to classify - out of data message.

Thanks for all you do,
    /Sue

Posted

• suzeroo by suzeroo

Update:
    Still no luck. I get an out of data message no matter what I do. To get to Talk, I just click ok on the out of data messages, then proceed to Talk. I can explore my collections, look at and respond to comments made in Talk. If I sign out, then re-enter PP, I can classify, as long as I don't sign in. If there's an image I want to comment on, I can proceed to "discuss," then I have to sign in before being able to comment. Then if I try to go back to classifying, I get the out of data message. 😦
    /Sue

Posted

Have you tried switching the data set for the other one? (CAL to MED or vice versa). You're very active so there is a chance one of the data sets is smaller and you could have really seen them all. Just guessing, no information from the devs.

Posted

• suzeroo by suzeroo

Amazing to think we may have finished a data set...

I can't classify anything until I sign out, so I'll do that... switch to Cal (I've been doing a lot of Med), and then sign in. Will see if / how it works and will let you know!
    Gotta run..
    /S

Posted

Well, not really a data set but its activated part... anyway, it doesn't seem to be the cause since Jim had troubles classifying when signed out 😦

Anyway, thanks for trying. Do let me know then please. Thanks!

Posted

• suzeroo by suzeroo

Hi Zuzi,

I tried, no luck. If I enter PP on a signed out basis, select Med or Cal, then sign in, I get out of data messages. If I classify first, then sign in before clicking on "next" or "discuss", I get out of data messages. I can't do anything at all until I click OK on both messages, then I can get into Talk. But I can't classify. That happens for both Med and Cal.

/Sue

Posted

Thanks. I reported that again on Github in hope someone will find a way how to help.

Posted

• suzeroo by suzeroo

Seems like I've read recently (in a comment - maybe from another moderator - which I can't find, of course) that the problem could be that I may have worked through the current data set, and until that data set is done and a new one is started, I won't be able to classify. That wouldn't explain why one of the tech guys was getting the same problem, though. Just wanted to contribute that thought. But for the moment, I can spend time going through my collections, cleaning them up, and commenting on some.. 😃

Posted

Well, that must have been me who said so before. But now it seems to be another problem. I asked to check whether you could have been done for real. I guess they would told me if the answer was yes. Will ask them again to make sure they checked that.

Thanks for your endless patience, and again, sorry for those troubles!
    Z.

Posted

• suzeroo by suzeroo

Thanks for following up - I sure hope I'm not done for real - that's not good for any volunteer!
    /S

Posted