Plankton Portal Talk

Selections for marking

• suzeroo by suzeroo

I'm using Chrome. After marking a sipho triangle, I didn't see any option to select that - until I hovered my cursor over a narrow blank column next to the column with the image of the cydippid. Same thing with dark radiolarian, the medusa ephyrae, fish larvae, and pteropods - are in a blank column, each in their respective category. I'm searching the Mediterranean at the moment.

Posted

• mkmcguir by mkmcguir

same with me.

Posted

• mkmcguir by mkmcguir

also, some of the 'old' things that we had (salp, thasslo) arent selections available anymore, even though they are in the field guide

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator

Hi,

I can see more problems here..

• There should be new images used in the Field Guide but at most of the categories, only the 3rd and 4th image have been changed and 1st and 2nd are the old ones with no circle representing the unscaled size.

• In the classification menu, there are only old images present and the new categories haven't any drawing.

• The marks are too opaque to see small organism through it while choosing the category from the menu.

• ...some others. I will continue later. Have to go off to work.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

I'm using Chrome. After marking a sipho triangle, I didn't see any
    option to select that - until I hovered my cursor over a narrow blank
    column next to the column with the image of the cydippid. Same thing
    with dark radiolarian, the medusa ephyrae, fish larvae, and pteropods

• are in a blank column, each in their respective category. I'm searching the Mediterranean at the moment.

I am having trouble replicating this. I see the images. Could you perhaps send a screenshot? Does this happen if you try a different browser, too?

All of those are new categories that we added during this recent rebuild, so there might be something wrong with the images. @yshish are you also seeing these blank columns?

also, some of the 'old' things that we had (salp, thasslo) arent
    selections available anymore, even though they are in the field guide

Salp and thasslo are not found in the Mediterranean set... in other words, it's the same reason we don't have a category for "lion" on Chicago Wildlife Watch. 😃 But it's still in the field guide for people who are doing Californai!

There should be new images used in the Field Guide but at most of the categories, only the 3rd and 4th image have been changed and 1st and 2nd are the old ones with no circle representing the unscaled size.

I cannot replicate this at all. It doesn't look like this to you?

enter image description here

In the classification menu, there are only old images present and the new categories haven't any drawing.

Same deal. Is this the same thing with the people up above, where you just see blanks where you should see rocket-ship sipho, dark radiolarian, the medusa ephyrae, fish larvae, and pteropods? Again, it shows up clearly for me, and the images when you mouse-over are the new ones as well.

enter image description here

If you can share a few screenshots, it might help, because this stuff looks good on our end, so we need to see what you're seeing. Thanks!! 😃

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to DZM's comment.

Here they are! 😉

1 The classification menu

1.1 Mediterranean

(Look at the empty boxes with no drawing. All od the empty ones are the new categories.)

1.2 California current

• Round, no tentacle
    • Lobate
    • Head with tail
    • (I forgot to make a screenshot, but the Rocket-ship category doesn't display in the California current offer too.)

(The last three should be changed for the images from the new Field Guide since the current ones are not very helpful - I'm not sure if I've ever found such looking Lobate / Thalasso / Salp so far! The current ones are very confusing for most of the users. The other ones may stay as they are but not these ones please.)

1.3 Visibility

(Look at the mark, it is too opaque to see the plankter you're going to classify. Most newbies won't be able to remember the shape of the little creature while going through the menu of so many categories.. They need to see what is hidden under the mark! The mark can't be moved which makes it even more difficult. It was possible in the old version so you could place the mark and after you chose the correct category, you could move the mark to the correct place. More over, the marks were transparent so you saw the plankter while classifying even in cases you placed the mark over the creature. I find this as a big complication for new users 😦 )

2 The Field Guide

(Notice that only the new categories have new images in all 4 boxes but at the old ones = most of the categories, have the old images in the boxes n.1 and n.2 = without the scale circles. Some of the images are missing there completely! The box is just empty.)

Well, I'm going to try some other browsers and will let you know whether something appear different way.. If so, I'll make screenshots for you.

Cheers,

Zuzi

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Thanks, Zuzi. Please let me know what happens with the browser testing. Also, could you please test clearing your cache?

I need to know if this is only happening in a certain browser (the field guide and empty boxes in the interface).

I will take up the issue with the opaque marker, as I'm fairly sure that happens in all browsers.

Once I have the results of browser-testing, I will start an issue about this.

Posted

I've just tried a browser called 'Ubuntu Web Browser'. I'm not familiar with this one at all but it displays all images in the Field Guide correctly and the Classification menu as well (just the image examples use the old images at all old categories. Not sure whether it is a purpose or not, but as I explained I find some of them useless.

I'm going to instal Chromium and will let you know whether it works.. Give me a couple of minutes.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Thank you!

Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Ubuntu, and Internet Explorer are the ones I'm most curious about.

What browser were you using where it DIDN'T work?

Thanks for the diagnostic help!! 😃

Posted

I use mainly Firefox, especially for the Zooniverse projects since they work the best under it.

Chromium seems to be working without any problems (except the Tutorial which starts every time I come back to the Classification page from the Talk, but it is a problem under all the browsers I've tried so far), everything works as it should. But, there is another difference: In Chromium, the marks change colour from yellow to light blue after I choose the category but in Firefox, the colour remains yellow all the time.

Which one is the correct? The light blue isn't well visible among all the marine snow. I prefer the yellow (or red or some more contrast one)

Shall I try Epiphany browser as well? (I haven't install it yet)

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Have you tried clearing your cache on Firefox? I mostly use Firefox as well, and everything is displaying fine for me in Firefox.

Thanks!

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Also, @suzeroo and @mkmcguir -- were you two using Firefox as well?

Posted

Well, I cleared the cache and the problems are solved! 😃 Thanks (I can't believe I haven't tried that at first!)

So the blue colour is the 'correct' one? Any chance to change it for a better visible one?

Posted

@suzeroo is using Chrome (she told so in her bug report!)

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

So it's just the cached images, regardless of the browser. People who are seeing this bug just gotta clear their caches.

I'll ask about the color. It's apparently supposed to be blue with a slight yellow outline on one side of the ! marker below it, or at least that's the "correct" generation. I'll put in a ticket about the blue color.

Posted

• mkmcguir by mkmcguir

I use Opera and havign the same issues.

Posted

• mkmcguir by mkmcguir in response to DZM's comment.

Opera.

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to mkmcguir's comment.

Well, please, try to clear your browser cache.. it should help 😃 (Hopefully!)

Posted

• mkmcguir by mkmcguir

I am at school, where we use explorer and am having same issue. It doesn't impede me from marking though, but may discourage new people...

Posted

• suzeroo by suzeroo

Sorry for the delay, I've been swamped at work, long hours, blah, blah, blah..

Marking:
    The selections for marking are now fixed; all critters are showing up as choices when I'm selecting for marking (appropriate to the body of water studied).
    The mark turns from yellow to total blue (maybe a teensy white edge to it), but I don't see that as a problem.

Tutorial:
    I don't go thru the tutorial when first entering PP, but still do each time I click on Return to classifying.

Field Guide:
    The full & updated field guide is now showing up for me - I forgot to mention that for a while, it was not. It looks GREAT!

Proof-reading comments on Field Guide

1. Nice cultural awareness touch to specify the cydippid as (American shaped) football (as a Social Worker I'm sensitive to that)
    2. Fish Larvae description mentions similarity to Chaethognaths, but there are no other mentions of scientific names anywhere else in the Guide, including the description for the Chaethognaths! I'd love to see the scientific name next to the common name in the Field Guide!

That's all I can think of. Just commented on an image that I didn't get to classify - it blasted past me, and I marked the image that subsequently settled in front of me, then when I went to comment on that image, the first image is the one that loaded...

Rock on!

Posted