Plankton Portal Talk

Main differences in using different browsers

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator

Hi,

I've tried to switch the browsers after some time back from the Chromium to the Firefox and have to say that it wasn't a good idea (at least for the developers.] that will have to look at it now). Here is a little comparison:

The classification is much better in the Firefox (it has always been better there). The circles for elongating or shortening the axes are much smaller there so you can see even the tiny organisms while tagging them unlike in the Chromium where they're too big and definitely should be scaled down. Compare: A screenshot from the Firefox. A screenshot from the Chromium.

As for the Talk, it's not as good for Firefox at all. I cannot comment discussions or images properly since the text appears white (=it has the same color as the background!) so I can't see what I write (unless I click on the 'Show Preview' button). It is news to me! It used to work in the Firefox several months ago. A screenshot of a discussion from the Firefox. The same happens when writing a comment to an image - a screenshot. By the way, this happens even in the Penguin Watch Talk!

When I zoom out the image in the browser settings while classifying in the Firefox, the bottom menu with the physical data and buttons gets shorten to the left half of the screen unless I come over with the cursor, then it goes back / elongates to the normal width of the image. This doesn't happen in the Chromium. A screenshot from the Firefox.

When the scale of classification images is 100% I can't mark anything at the top margin of the image since it is covered with the popping up top menu (even when the menu is hidden). Look at the scrollbar screenshot from the Chromium - it can't be moved to the top anymore. So I have to zoom out to 90% to be able to classify the whole images. This is problem of both browsers by the way.

There are maybe more differences but these definitely worth being solved.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

I don't understand what could possibly be going on with the white text. I'm in Firefox right now myself and I can clearly see what I'm typing...

I think that shortening may be intentional to facilitate use on devices with smaller screens?

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to DZM's comment.

I've just got such a message from Cam: "That is most likely an artefact of another site that uses the same editor. Try clearing your cookies (i can't tell you which one will work but wmd-editor is a good start) and seeing if that fixes it." but I didn't succeed with clearing the cookies. Can't find them in the browser:] ...Give me some time, my brain has frozen a bit:/

Posted

Update: I did delete the cookies but it didn't help, I can't see what I'm typing....

Posted

• SPToad by SPToad

That's weird. Maybe your text colors in Firefox got changed? You can check them at Menu=>Options=>Content.

Just a wild guess, and perhaps not very likely, but remember I had an unexpected zoom problem when I first logged on. (I totally blame my cat.)

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to SPToad's comment.

No, they haven't. I even tried to forbade pages to choose their own colours and then allowed them to do so again since it didn't work either.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Has anyone else had this problem... ? @yshish, I'm starting to wonder if your computer has a poltergeist! 😃

Definitely going to try to get this fixed, but it's so hard when it's an issue only one person is reporting, or when reports are inconsistent. Not your fault, nobody's fault, just hard to fix!

Posted

Yeah I know it is hard to fix. Not sure how many users use Firefox here (or how many users participate in this project these days) but what if some others have this issue and are not able to sign in since they don't see what they write? First I thought that I cannot sign in and later realized that I just don't see the letters I'm typing!

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator

The cause of the white text has been revealed and it is definitely a bug in the Talk. I've just sent you an email with the details. I think the bug should be fixed however no one else complained. I realized why I stopped using Firefox several months ago! It was because I couldn't sign in (didn't know that the text was just white coloured).

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Hi @yshish, you did manage to get the white text fixed, right? It was some weird way in which our code was interacting with your custom colors?

Posted

Hi Darren,

No, it hasn't been fixed yet. Here is the explanation from the email I sent to you and Cam from the developers on Friday (Haven't you received it?):

It is a bug in the Zooniverse CSS because it does explicitly set background colours for inputs but it effectively leaves the text colours at their default values -- which goes wrong whenever a user sets their default value to almost white. However, users should be able to change their colour schemes without having their websites break.

Technically speaking:

1. Yshish uses a white-on-black colour scheme in her OS and browser
    2. the CSS sets "background-color" but it leaves "color" undefined (sort of)

More precisely:

1. application-$datetime.css sets "background-color" of elements to #FFF. This is applied because the selector used is fairly specific.
    2. application-$datetime.css doesn't set "color" for elements; these just inherit "color" from their parent elements. Unfortunately, then the selector "input {...}" from resource://gre-resources/forms.css takes over because it's more specific than the inherited "color" rule and it sets "color" to "-moz-FieldText". This is however "#fcfcfc" because Yshish uses a white-on-black colour scheme.

My OS color setting as a dark scheme (with white texts) is default here so I'm afraid there can be more users unable to log in in the Firefox since they can't see what they're typing. All other web pages works without such difficulties but the Zooniverse.

Hopefully it is clearer now.

Thanks!

Zuzi

Posted

• Siiw by Siiw moderator

I was just forced to update my Opera. The new version is based on Chromium. The little red circles on the marking arrows are HUGE! I had this problem on the netbook's Chrome too. I wonder if different browsers interpret the "r=10" variable in the script differently.

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to Siiw's comment.

Yes, these huge red circles on the marking arrows were so annoying that I stopped using Chromium and came back to the Firefox even when I couldn't see what I was typing there! (Which has been fixed btw.)

Posted

• Pirandella by Pirandella

Can anybody probably help me: while working with my laptop (samsung) everything is fine,but if I need to switch over to the ipad, some functions won' t work,e.g. If I now try to mark a second species, it won't accept it.thank you!

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to Pirandella's comment.

Hi @Pirandella

I remember there were users having some troubles while using iPads a year ago but don't remember whether the developers were able to fix that or not. Could you please specify what exactly doesn't work? Did you mean that you can mark only one organism per one image or you can choose only one species but more organisms? What else doesn't work?

Thank you! Hopefully the developers will be able to reproduce that and fix.

Zuzi

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin in response to Pirandella's comment.

Yes, please, tell us exactly what the problem is. If you work with Zuzi and I, we can try to nail this down and figure out what's going on. Thank you!!

Posted