Plankton Portal Talk

Question re profile information

• Scienceprof by Scienceprof

Is there a way to keep track of what types of plankton have been classified, for example, numbers of each type? I know the profile page shows the images one has looked at. The reason i ask is that i want middle school students in a project to classify but keep track of what they've classified. Please let me know if this is possible. Thanks.

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to Scienceprof's comment.

Hi @Scienceprof

I'm afraid there is no such a possibility for regular users now but I let the scientist team and the developers know about your question and sked them for an answer. Perhpas they could make it happen somehow.

Regards,

Zuzi

Posted

• cguigand by cguigand scientist, admin

Hi, there may be a solution I need to ask the Zooniverse team to comfirm
    . let me look into it this week

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator

(BTW, it would be a nice feature for regular users as well:)

Posted

• cguigand by cguigand scientist, admin

I talked to the Zooniverse team. They think it is possible but not trivial at this point. They would be willing to do it if have requests from several groups. I am not sure how to motiviate teachers ans educators out there? any suggestion

Cheers

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to cguigand's comment.

Great!

I think there were some more requests of this kind in the past and that some high school student groups have already participated however without that tool (after they asked whether it is possible to track the classificated categories).

It asks for a little promotion among schools / teachers. (Actually, I'm a teacher as well but haven't figured out how to include this project in the education of my class yet either when using the translated version. It doesn't fit to the curriculum we have this year. It would be much easier if we had a sea in my country:)

Can you write a short blog post to highlight such a possibility? It could be shared in FB etc. Perhaps linking to this page http://www.planktonportal.org/#/education and this one: http://www.planktonportal.org/#/science/field-guide (I've noticed that lot of the users don't know about the information at all.)

No more ideas at this moment.

Z.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Hi everyone,

As @cguigand said, it would be technically possible to implement this type of feature, but I'm not certain that we have the resources to get it done right now as our developers are (rather perpetually, to be honest!) busy with upcoming projects and features, and, again as @cguigand said, it would not be a trivial task. It's the sort of thing that might come up if Plankton Portal were to be be up for a website redesign, perhaps... ?

However, yes, if the science team has requests from enough groups, it might be possible. As you might understand, it's not possible for our very busy devs to implement every feature requested by just one or two people; that's why we'd need to hear from several who would benefit. 😃

Posted

• Scienceprof by Scienceprof

Thanks kindly, everyone, for your responses. It would be so much more valuable and attractive for teachers if a tracking feature were embedded into the Plankton Portal. The Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS; NRC, 2013) calls for students engaging in scientific practices, and the Plankton Portal is of great value in this context. Students would be able to analyze the data, make conjectures, and write reports. This embeds the math content (data analysis) and the writing standards (report) into this project--as well as the science content. Perhaps stating these benefits on the portal might encourage teachers, as they are still struggling with how to implement the newly minted NGSS. I truly appreciate your help and support of students and hope you can advocate for a tracking feature..

Posted

• jessicaluo by jessicaluo scientist, admin

Hi @scienceprof,

I tell teachers and educators who ask me about this subject to have their students all sign in under one or several related usernames. At the conclusion of the project, we could go through and manually pull out the classifications that the students performed and send it to the instructor in an excel file.

If that works for you, this could be one solution in lieu of a complicated design project for the zooniverse team.

-Jessica
    Jessica.luo@rsmas.miami.edu

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Thank you for weighing in, @jessicaluo ... If that could work, it might be a nice solution!

Posted