Plankton Portal Talk

Directions of movement

• SPToad by SPToad

I swear I saw a thread about this before, but now I can't find it. I'm not sure which end is the 'top' of some objects, and/or what direction they move in.
    For instance, arrow worms - smooth end or notched end?
    And what is the top of a larvacean house? If there's a larvacean coming out, I try to put that at the top.
    If I catch a solmaris or medusa dead-on, is 'up' completely random?

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to SPToad's comment.

Hi,

You possibly meant one of these threads:

1st - Direction of motion assumptions - push but not pull?

2nd - Direction marking of lobate and cydippid

As for the arrow worms, they swim towards the mouth (=the round ending) so this one is going to the bottom, this one is going to the right and as well this one.

As for the larvacean houses, don't worry about the direction. It is important only for some of the categories:) The same for animals heading directly to/away from the camera.

Posted

• SPToad by SPToad

Ack, I've been tagging the arrow worms backwards. I was afraid of that. Oh well, I'll do it right from now on. Thanks.

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator

NP. Each image is classified by several users. Someone else will mark them the correct way:) At least you marked them as arrow worms!

Posted

• SPToad by SPToad

Yeah, I think my arrow worm ID skills are pretty decent so far! I only mark the ones with clearly arrow-worm-like notches, though. I probably missed a bunch that were far away or very blurry.

Posted

• SPToad by SPToad

I feel like I'm getting a lot better. But it's nighttime now where I am, and I think my ability to see small details is much better in the dark.

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to SPToad's comment.

Great!😃 Agree, the classification is always easier when you're in the dark.

Posted